[CP2K:167] Re: about output handling in cp2k

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:51:39 UTC 2007

Unfortunately there are no memory leaks.. ;-) (99.99999 % sure)..

The fact is that once you write the first restart file (immediately
after the 0 step) the input file in memory is larger because
it contains more information (i.e. the "memory image" to continue the
calculation exactly  from that point).. This information
is always kept in memory unless you don't ask to deallocate it...

That's why you go out of memory at that point..

to deallocate the structure of the input file in memory use the keyword:
http://cp2k.berlios.de/input/
InputReference~__ROOT__~GLOBAL.html#SAVE_MEM

This is a typical problem of XT3/4 (where the amount of memory
required is ~1.5 than on normal linux, maybe due to the catamount
kernel).
Moreover,  in the dual-core version the max amount of memory per node
is ~850MB per proc (even less if you use more than 100MB for the IO
buffer(that is the default on our configuration))..
I'm just a little bit surprised because 850 MB should be more than
enough for each proc for this input file..
how much memory can you really access per proc on your machine?

Teo