[CP2K:474] berry phase

Fawzi Mohamed fa... at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 10 23:04:13 UTC 2007

Hi Marc,

Berry Phase is needed for periodic boundary conditions.
Indeed it is not anymore possible to use just x,y,z as positions
because then you have a discontinous jump somewhere.
One solution is to work with with the phase of complex numbers, as
that has the correct circular topology.
Basically you go from position to complex phase doing
	exp(i*2Pi x)
where is x is the first component in reduced units. You do the same
for the other two components.
you calculate the dipole using these complex numbers, and *at the
end* you go back taking the logarithm (phase).

For literature references with respect to classical MD, I do not
know, someone should chime in, I know it from polarization in
abinitio...

Fawzi