getting rid of hard-coded MPI_COMM_WORLD

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:59:08 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 4:17 am, Fawzi Mohamed <fa... at gmx.ch> wrote:

hi fawzi,

> I wrote the f77_interface trying to exactly achieve that.

right. i should have mentioned, that i realized 99% of what
i have in mind is already done (great job, BTW. it is always
too easy to forget acknowledging that one is only worrying
about a tiny detail).

> There are two routines to create force_envs one that recieves
> explicitly a group (actually a communicator, in cp2k we have it
> sistematically misnomed) and another that has no arguments (and
> defaults to MPI_COMM_WORLD).
> This is actually already used internally in cp2k and should work.
> If it doesn't then it should definitly be fixed.

yep. i'll look into it and will probably only find out, once
i have a prototype code to try it out. my question was mainly
intended to find out, whether there was a technical reason to
do everything as it is done now.

> Or you want to change the init routine (wich just defines a general
> fallback in case of really bad errors)?

yep. i'd also like to enter the init routine with a group
communicator.
i am thinking about working on a code that would control multiple
MPI-parallelized codes, so the "supervisor" code would need to hog
the world communicator, partition it into suitable groups and hand
a group communicator to each code.

that being said, the fact that cp2k _is_ already 99% independent of
any hardcoded communicators is - apart from the features - the reason
why we are considering it in the first place. ;-)

thanks and cheers,
   axel.